Applying For Employment
If you are interested in applying for a position as a police officer, review the basic requirements listed below and visit the Town's Human Resources Homepage for job postings.
Basic Employment Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must complete Basic Law Enforcement Training and meet state certification requirements
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must pass a written test, oral interview, physical, drug screen, and psychological evaluation
- Must successfully pass a background investigation
- No felony convictions
- U.S. citizen
Step-by-Step Application Process
- The following are REQUIRED before being considered for employment, and must be submitted together:
3) Personal History Statement
- Applicants selected for the next step of the process will be notified by telephone.
- If the applicant passes the written test, they will be notified of a date and time for the oral review board.
- If the applicant passes the oral review board, they will be interviewed by an investigator and be required to pass a rigorous background investigation, including a credit, driving, and criminal history check. In addition, neighbors, employers, and references will be interviewed as to the applicant's suitability for the position.
- If the applicant passes the background check and is given a conditional offer of employment, the applicant must submit to a psychological examination, physical examination with drug screening, and successfully qualify with a firearm.
Benefits For Newly-Hired Police
- 401k Plan with Contributions Made by the Town (5% annual salary)
- 10 - 20 Paid Vacation Days per Year (based on years of service)
- 11 - 12 Paid Holidays per Year
- 12 Paid Sick Leave Days per Year (accumulated indefinitely)
- Education Incentives
- Experience Incentives for Full-time Paid Law Enforcement Officers
- Fitness Center Within the Police Department
- Fully-paid Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage for Employee (family coverage is available at an additional charge.)
- Law Enforcement Local Government Retirement System
- Paid Life Insurance Equal to Annual Salary
- Starting Annual Salary (with no experience/degree) - $37,762
- Tuition Reimbursement (up to $3000 per year)
- Uniforms and Equipment Furnished by the Police Department
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance