About Miles Atkins
Miles Atkins was born in Tampa, Florida and attended Plant High School, where he was student body president and graduated in 1981. He attended Auburn University and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science.
Atkins began his career in sales and marketing in Tampa and was recruited to Charlotte to work in the communications industry. He has since worked in key product development, sales and marketing, and marketing support services. Currently, Atkins serves as Director of Corporate Affairs and Government Relations for Iredell Health System.
In 2007, Atkins was elected to serve as a commissioner at large for the Town of Mooresville. He ran on a platform of visionary leadership, accountability, and transparency. Atkins ran for Mayor of Mooresville in 2011, focusing on combining the strengths of all of Mooresville, developing a strong economy and continuing to press for accountable government.
Atkins and his wife, Kim, relocated to Mooresville in 1997. They have a daughter, Rett, and a son, Liam.
The Role of Mayor
According to the National League of Cities, the following are specific responsibilities of mayor:
- Chair governing body meetings, which includes paying attention to parliamentary procedures, and ensuring the accomplishment of desired outcomes
- Serve as primary contact between the management staff and the governing body to keep the community agenda moving
- Encourage good communication with citizens, the media, other members of the governing body, and the chief administrator
- Represent local government in many settings in the community, with other local governments, and at state and national levels
- Facilitate action during meetings, between meetings, and throughout the community
- Help to create, maintain, and strengthen the effectiveness of the local leadership team
- Encourage and support the community during a crisis
Currently, Mayor Atkins is appointed to serve as a member of the following Town and community organizations:
- Centralina Economic Development Commission
- Community Housing
- MI-Connection Strike Team
- Mooresville-South Iredell Chamber of Commerce
- Mooresville-South Iredell Leadership Foundation Inc.
- Mooresville / South Iredell Economic Development Corporation
- Town of Mooresville Audit / Finance / Insurance Committee
- Town of Mooresville Nominations Committee
- Town of Mooresville Personnel Committee
- Town of Mooresville Public Safety Committee
Mayor's Campaign Against Bullying
The United States Conference of Mayors has joined the BULLY Project in a campaign to wipe out bullying in the country's schools. Mayors from across the country have joined together to promote the eradication of bullying. Mayor Atkins joined with the mayors of Statesville and Troutman to announce a pair of joint proclamations announcing their support of bullying prevention activities, and their support of Crisis Resolution Day 2014:
Joint Proclamation Against Bullying
Conflict Resolution Day